Thursday, March 10, 2011

Which would you chose? American Girl Doll or Maplelea Doll?

As some of my readers know I am Canadian, I live in Canada and am proud to be Canadian, however I also love American Girl dolls and Nascar and truth be told I can pass for either American or Canadian lets face it most of us could. But can our dolls? Our Canadian Doll that is available is from a Company Called Maplelea  has a series of 5 dolls who are almost the same size as American girl dolls and basically the same price. I personally have American Girl dolls, 4 of them actually. Which goes to show you what my preference is or was until I borrowed Jenna, the Maplelea doll from Emma, one of the girls in my neighborhood so I could complete a custom order of clothes and shoes. Here is what I love about both of these dolls.
What  I really love about the Ameircan girl doll is the soft features and girl like look, they also have each their own personality and eye shape. The only fault I can find with the American Girl doll is the cost of shipping and customs fees you have to pay in Canada.
The Maplelea dolls on the other hand are 18 inches tall  but have longer thinner feet and arms and a smile with no teeth. The hair is almost the same quality as the American Girl doll hair and each of the Maplelea dolls has the same length of  hair and almost the same look. Shipping is very reasonable and  after spending the evening with Jenna, I realized how much I really like her, I love the way Jenna has red hair and freckles I have grown quite attached to her and think I will be saving my money from my doll clothes sales to get her as my next doll not just for sizing for doll clothes orders but because I think she would make a great addition to any doll family.PS I also love that you can order Hockey equipment and a hockey Helmet for these dolls. So I guess my Canadian is showing...
As with all my posts I would love to hear from you so email me at karenmowen@gmail.com or leave me a comment here.
Please visit  both the Maplelea site to learn more about these Canadian dolls and visit the American Girl doll site to learn about the wonderful dolls they offer.
http://www.maplelea.com/
http://www.americangirl.com/

11 comments:

  1. I would choose American Girl, though I'm Canadian.
    On my blog you asked me if I took the photos myself, and I did, though my mommy uploaded them. :)
    ~Caelen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Caelen! The photos you take are fantastic and I hope you will keep up the good work! Yes I choose the American Girl doll as well. But I do like the Maplelea dolls as well! Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Canadian girl dolls parts are made in Canada, AG dolls parts are made in China. I prefer that they are made in Canada and sold in Canada. Also through many comparisons of both the wigs on Maplelea is far superior to the AG dolls on most models.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maplelea dolls are made in China too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer the American dolls, they have finer features and wonderful eyes. the staring eyes of the Maplelea dolls bother me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter and I definitely prefer Maplelea. They are beautifully made dolls, all clothing and accessories are high-quality made to last. The customer service is exceptional and shipping is very reasonable. They come with lovely journal that teaches girls about Canada, and has inspired my daughter to learn more about the great country she lives in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can t pick one. I like American girls better but I might get maplelea because it's cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in the same boat. I like the look of the American Doll better as I prefer the chubbier look. I find the Maplelea dolls look too much like porcelain dolls. After reading about Maplelea I understand why. BUT I prefer a lot of the "canadian" outfits Maplelea has to offer in comparison to American Girl...

      Delete
  8. I by far, absolutely would prefer a Maplelea Doll. The American Girl's to me are very chubby and are more "Barbie" like and less like a real person. Sure American Girl is a bigger company but Maplelea is slowly growing, and feels more at home and, of course, downright Canadian! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. With the Canadian dollar exchange right now the price difference is tremendous. I choose maplelea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Does anyone have any feedback regarding the softness of the plastic hands and feet? In one review of American Girl vs. Our Generation, the reviewer commented that the softer plastic of the OG doll made it easier for her daughter to put on clothes, shoes, etc. I haven't seen any similar comparisons between M and OG or M and AG. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete