Monday, April 4, 2011

Making Goalie Gear for an American Girl Doll


My Niece Trinity is a hockey player. She lives in Montreal. She wants to be a goalie, so does her AG doll. Here is the problem we could not find  goalie hockey gear anywhere to buy, so Aunty Karen got asked to make some. Here is how I did it. We did order the hockey helmet from Maplelea here in Canada and are waiting for it to arrive. Here is what it will look like.
You can order this helmet and the player gear from Maplelea at
http://www.maplelea.com/product_info.php?products_id=487


I made the goalie pads first using a large sponge from the dollar store I cut it into three peices. Using the outside pieces of  the sponge as the pads and the inside sponge I cut down for the blocker. the sponges for the pads should be 2 1/2 inches wide by 3 1/2 inches high.

 To make the outer casing for the pads I cut out of black broad cloth 4 5 1/2  inch X 3 1/2 inch rectangles. Out of 1 inch elastic two 4 inch strips. I attached the elastic on two of the pieces of broad cloth as shown about half way down the rectangle and about 1 inch in. then I put the other rectangle broad cloth on top with right sides together and stitched it around three sides, turned it right side out.I then placed the foam in side and then slip stitched the pads closed.

For the blocker I cut two pieces of black broad cloth 2 1/2 inches by 4 inches and repeated the steps as above.

For the glove I traced the dolls hand and allowed 1/2 all around and cut out of broad cloth to make the glove. I finished the wrist edges of the glove before stitching together.

I then decorated with paint the pads and gloves. I also made some hockey shorts and a NHL Jersey. I bought the pink stick at the dollar store for $1.25, though I understand that build a bear has a perfect stick and has great NHL uniforms that can be altered to fit 18 inch dolls.

I am really happy with how this turned out! I need to still figure out hockey skates but what I think we will do is go to Micheal's and buy the Springfield  doll figure skates and use a black sharpie to make them Hockey skates. As with all my posts I would love to hear from you so please leave me a comment here or email me at karenmowen@gmail.com

4 comments:

  1. I have a grandson who is an ice hockey player AND loves dolls and other toys he can make talk to each other,,,,including trucks, dinosaurs, etc. He wants an 18" doll with "outfits" he can dress him in....fireman, army, baseball player, karate, and most of all, ICE HOCKEY. I have spent house on the internet trying to find something that will work, and the only realistic gear is from Maplelea. BUT they will not ship to the U.S. I need some understanding mom or gramma in Canada who will buy this for me and send it to the U.S. for my sweet grandchild. Any takers????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure we can work something out! My only concern is that the Maplelea Gloves may not fit his doll. I recommend trying Build a Bear First. Email me if you have not already at karenmowen@gmail.com and I will see what I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you don't already have the hockey skates, try Michaels. They have a selection of clothes for 18" dolls and they may have the skates.

    ReplyDelete