Monday, May 16, 2011

Another Doll Rescue! I found a Maplelea Doll at the Thrift Store

This makes my day to share with you this great find. On my birthday I went to a few thrift stores with my sister in law Janeen. I was so thrilled to find another 18 inch doll to rescue!

This one is a Maplelea Doll which if you are unfamiliar with  is Canada's version of the American Girl Doll. The Maplelea dolls are $99.99 in the catalog and their are only 5 types of dolls. When I got mine home I was thrilled to discover that I had Brianne, I think this is funny because I have a sister named Bre-Anne who also has blond hair and blue eyes like this doll.
 This doll was only $6.99! Such a savings from the orig. catalog price of $99.99! (Plus shipping)
When I found the doll in the bottom of the toy bin at our local Salvation Army I was over the moon. She was very dirty and needed a good clean and brushing. She does have a stain on her arm that I have not been able to remove but from here on out that is just her birthmark and we will leave it as is. I am thrilled to have found my own Maplelea doll espcially for the price as when I make doll clothes for my clients who have Maplelea Dolls I do not have to worry about borrowing one to fit the close on as they are slightly different in size.

*Dispite being 18 inches tall not all 18 inch dolls are sized the same for clothing. The Maplelea doll has longer thinner arms, legs and feet. I am thrilled with how Brianne turned out and she looks great modeling one of the dresses avalible from my Etsy Store.
This was a wonderful find made even more wonderful by the fact I found her on my birthday!
As with all my posts I would love to hear from you so please leave me a comment here or email me at karenmowen@gmail.com

5 comments:

  1. Great score Karen. She looks great!!! Do you sell them after you restore them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi NickiG, I was so happy with it! I have never sold one after I restore them, perhaps I should, I always seem to find someone in need of a doll however if I come across more that may become an option! I am keeping Brianne as she is my first Maplelea doll. I hope to find and restore more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the oufit,I love all your outfits.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great find!! She is so pretty, too. I really need to hit some of our local thrift stores one of these days - I'm sure there are great finds to be had.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much! All the outfits on my dolls are available through my Etsy store Lilac! Yes I encourage all of you to check your thrift stores!

    ReplyDelete