Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Facinated with Facinators? Make one for yourself and why not one for your doll?

If you watched any of the coverage from the recent Royal Wedding you had to notice all the amazing hats! My favorites were the "facinators". I can not get over how much fun they were to see and how they were worn with such confidence! I also thought they would be a really fun dress up accessory and a fun addition to my doll clothes collection. They are so easy to make and fun. I used a glue gun (though you can use craft glue) and supplies I had on hand, you can shop for these items really inexpensively but it is fun to see what you can make out of what you have. I also used left over ribbon scraps, wired ribbon, felt board scraps I had on hand (I am sure you can use fun foam) and a dollar store hair clip.

First I traced a large drinking glass on to the wrong side of the felt board, and I cut it out. I then cut a slit to the center and folded it over, I glued it in to place.
To make the "rose" I guled the wire ribbon as I went to create the flower .
Next I glued on some of the netting  to the felt board circle and tied a small bow out of the ribbon scraps I had on hand. I glued that to the netting and covered with the flower rose adhering all of it with my glue gun. I am sure you can use craft glue but I am an impatient crafter after all. To attach the metal hair clip I glued it to the inside of the now made facinator and secured it by gluing some ribbon over the metal to the inside of the felt to insure it would stay in place. 

These are so fun to make and would make a great addition to any doll tea party!
As with all my post I would love to hear from you so please leave me a comment here or email me at karenmowen@gmail.com

8 comments:

  1. Love it! Love the leopard. So easy to make but it makes a statement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Karen, this cracked me up (in a good way) I love the way you turn everything into something for your dolls :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Karen! My name is Jeanette, and I am the Admin at AG Fans Message Board. We are currently working on our first (hopefully annual) Hat Show, with members making dolly hats to show off next week. One of our members found your blog with this post and shared the link. I love your ideas! We would love to have you register for membership on our board - you seem to have so much you could add!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all! Dollygrandma I am so thrilled and honored! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! I linked up at the Dollar Store Crafts facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/dollarstorecrafts

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like facinators too! I'm insanely jealous that we don't hear dress hats to events like they do in England.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Lisa I say we start, the more we wear them the more they will catch on and it is way more fun to be a trend setter then a band wagon jumper!
    I say wear the facintators!

    ReplyDelete