Monday, May 30, 2011

Something different for Memorial Day

Most of you know that I am a Canadian, living in Canada. While we do not celebrate Memorial day as our American cousins do( we have Remembrance day in November on the 11) I thought I would take this opportunity to let you know about some great programs in your area.
  I think in this day and age we are all a part of the bigger picture and our accountability to each other transcends borders. I would like to take this opportunity to tell you about some  great charities and organizations that help families with young girls and families like yours both here in Canada and in the USA. There are several conflicts that governments around the world that have entered into that require the presence of Military Dad's and Moms to leave their families and protect the rights and freedoms our Countries afford us. These dedicated military men and women have families like you and I and their sacrifice and absents are felt very strongly by their loved ones left behind at home.
You may know a military family already or perhaps would like to reach out to families you do not know who have loved ones serving their country.
I met this amazing woman through Etsy her store is called sewcrazyarmywife and she has shared with me the information for the USO and United through Reading programs. Eva aka sewcrazyarmywife also makes amazing outfits for 18 inch dolls and regularly donates to USO charities in her area. To contact the USO directly you can visit
  206-246-1908www.uso.org 
The USO, aside from putting donations to use on site, also have fundraisers, like silent auctions and suchToys and books are always appreciated.

I understand their is another great program called United through Reading, this program  let's deployed soldiers pick a book to read while being dvd recorded and then the book and dvd are sent free of charge to their children. For more information about this program go to http://www.unitedthroughreading.org/
I wanted to highlight these wonderful programs and thought that I would share them with you.

For my Canadian readers much can be done for our military families as well for more information go to
http://www.cfpsa.com/en/corporate/newscentre/support/


Many girls have 18 inch dolls like the American Girl dolls, Maplelea Dolls, Our Generation or Springfield Dolls. If you happen to find a doll to rescue at your local thrift store or yard sale I would like to challenge you to pick one up, make over the doll and perhaps donate her to your local USO or hold a doll auction at your school or "house of worship"and donate the money to the Charity of your choice.
If you do this please let me know, send me a email and photo so I can feature your story here on my blog.
As with all my posts I would love to hear from you so please leave a comment here or email me at karenmowen@gmail.com
This outfit above  and more available from sewcrazyarmywife's store

To visit sewcrazyarmywife's store click here http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewcrazyarmywife?ref=pr_shop_more



No comments:

Post a Comment