Friday, June 24, 2011

A great Doll Play site on Etsy

I love doll play items and today I am showing you some really great doll play items from an Etsy store called
http://www.etsy.com/people/childrenswoodland
As you know I love to promote other American Girl doll crafters and artists from Etsy and here is a store that has an amazing selection of not just American Girl doll clothes and doll play items but many more fantastic handmade items at such reasonable prices!
I love the set pictured above it includes a camera photos and boxes of film. I also thing the photo book is adorable.  The fact that these sets for doll play are under $10! Such  a great deal!
Perfect for summer a chalk bucket, the chalk actually works!
having a doll pirate party? Her is such a fun set!  I love the doll money has AG girl doll faces on it!
While I love the laundry set most, this one touched my heart! $8.98 and with only 6 months until the holiday season I think this is a must!

Another great item from this store is the coats she has made for American Girl or 18 inch dolls. She has so many in different colors and they can be dressed up or down and for under $10 it is such a steal!

I also find it fascinating that Elizabeth has been creating and selling her items since she was only 14 years old. She started selling at local craft fairs and her business has grown from there. I interviewed her about her shop and here are the answers she gave me.
What motivated you to begin making doll clothes?
Sewing and dolls are two things that have been passed down by the women in my family so, as soon as I was old enough to run a sewing machine, sewing clothing for my dolls was an obvious hobby.  I started out selling my work at local craft shows when I was just 14 and, now that I have moved online, I still get much enjoyment from designing and creating new things.

How many dolls do you have?
I have been collecting dolls since before I could talk so I probably shouldn't mention exactly how many I have!  My most cherished dolls are the cloth dolls my grandmother made for me when I was a very small girl.  I also have been collecting American Girl almost since the line was started.  My favorite American Girl is the Kirsten I received for Christmas when I was just 10 years old.

The doll play items in your shop such as the laundry day, chalk and scrapbook sets are darling how did you come up with such great ideas?
When I come up with a new idea I am always thinking about what I would like to have in my collection.  (There isn't an item in my shop that I haven't also made for my own dolls.)  I am really detail oriented so I like my accessories to be as realistic as I can possibly make them.  I make a special effort to keep things at just the right scale for 18" dolls and to keep my costs down so that my prices are affordable to everyone and anyone who has a special doll in their life.

You also make other amazing handmade items, how do you find the time?
Selling online is my main job and means of support so I always put my work and my customers first.  Sometimes, it can get very busy, but I still love the feeling of creating something with my own two hands and knowing that it is making a special girl (or boy) smile!  My biggest problem is finding the time to create all the new ideas that pop into my head!

What are your best sellers?
My very best American Girl seller is my desk set.  It has over a dozen AG-sized school supplies.  Last year alone I sold over 175 sets.
 It has been so popular I am planning on adding a new school set later this month.  It will also have a dozen pieces including pocket-folders, worksheets, composition books and even a hall pass!
 
Another American girl item that is really popular are my headbands.  I sell them in sets of 3 and they are all handmade with an elastic back for easy on and off.
They became so popular I now also offer them in sets of 10 which allows you to choose the color you would like (out of 9 different colors available).  People love these for craft projects and party favors!
Elizabeth has a special offer for you!  Here is her special deal!
Special Deals:
I am currently running a shipping special for American Girl customers.  If you purchase 4 of my AG accessories I will ship them all for the shipping cost of just 1.  (Please just wait to pay after to purchase and  I will send a revised invoice or I am also always happy to refund the extra after payment.)
Or, if you are looking for some new clothes for your doll just purchase 3 of my clothing pieces and I will ship them all for the shipping cost of 1 (which is just $2.50 to anywhere in the U.S.).
Other info:
I  have a website ( www.childwoodland.com ) that features my soft books and toys and I currently have a American Girl themed website in the works that I am hoping to have up by the 2011 holiday season.  It will feature all of my AG-sized items (as well as some new surprises) and will allow customers to shop by item type, character and price. Here is the link to her new website http://www.mydollsworld.com/ which will be operational for this holiday season.
I really am thrilled that Elizabeth took the time to talk to me and that I am able to share her creations with you today! 
As with all my posts I would love to hear from you so please leave me a comment here or email me at karenmowen@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment