Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Want a Doll house for your doll? Take a look at what Skylar and her Mom made!

I recently came across this amazing post in a blog I follow called http://americangirlsky.blogspot.com/ 
Skyler and her mother Tiffany built this amazing doll house together. As you can see this doll house is one of the best storage and doll play structures I have ever seen. I asked Skyler and her Mom about their project and they agreed to let me do an interview and share their answers and photo's with you.
I started out by asking what motivated Tiffany to create this doll house for Skyler? She says the reason she designed this doll house was Skyler needed more doll storage and play space so she designed the doll house for function as much as fun.

I wondered how much it would cost to create such a great storage unit/doll house and was pleased to find out that including paint the entire project cost $105.00. I also wondered how long it took to build. Tiffany says she and Skyler worked on the doll house together and built it in about 3 hours.
Skyler tells me that the unit is designed and built in such a way that they could easily add additions to the "house" as needed and that the doll house is in her room.
I also wondered how big the doll house was and if Skyler herself could reach to the top shelf to put away her American girl doll pets. She tells me she needs a small stool but can reach most of it easily.

I wanted to know if each of her dolls had her own room and she tells me that most of her dolls share a room (some of them three to a room) but her favorite room  in her doll house is her room for her dolls
 Kanani and Reagan.
I also wanted to know how Skyler got started with her doll collection and she tells me it was when she visited a friend who had them and she fell in love with them and when she went home and went on line to www.americangirl.com and fell in love with the doll Kit, she and her mom planned a trip to the Mall of America where she picked up Kit and brought her home. Since then Skyler has collected 12 American girl dolls and she features them regularly on her blog. Skyler started her blog in January of 2010 and does a great job with posts and photos of her dolls. I highly recommend her blog to any American Girl doll lover and hope that she continues to blog about her dolls and her life for many years to come.


I would like to thank Skyler and her Mom Tiffany for allowing me to interview them and share with you this fantastic project. I asked them if they had any advice for my readers who may want to build one for themselves and this is the advice they gave me.
They wanted me to let you know that it was  "fun to make together , and that when you are done making it you will really enjoy it. Also you need thicker wood for the side walls."
These are great tips and I look forward to hearing from any of you who who are inspired to make your own doll houses. Check out Skylar's blog at http://americangirlsky.blogspot.com/
As with all my posts I would love to hear from you so please leave me a comment here or email me at karenmowen@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment