Wednesday, January 11, 2012

An Etsy shop with a wonderful mission. Kathys Minitures Plus


As we get into the swing of the new year and send the kids back to school I would like to share with you an Etsy shop that uses it's proceeds year round  to benefit a program called http://www.backtoschoolclothingdrive.com/
Kathy of Kathysminituresplus dedicates her sales to providing back to school necessities for families in need.
Kathy's shop offers a wide range of items for 18 inch dolls and outfits are priced between $7.50 and $28.99
Kathy has been sewing doll clothes for 50 years. She started with sewing and selling Barbie clothes, and in 1991 at a Craft fair Kathy was asked if she sewed American Girl Doll clothing. 
Kathy tells me,
"I got a couple of Simplicity patterns and made clothes without a doll for about 6 months. My kids gave me Kirsten for Mother's day the next spring because I am Swedish. What a thrill to make clothes and be able to try them on for fit. Since then I have acquired every 18" doll pattern there is from Simplicity, McCalls, Butterick, Vogue, Sew Beautiful patterns from Martha Pullen, all the Joan Hinds books and special nationality patterns, I have them all!"
 Falling in love with these dolls as we all do she acquired,Samantha, Kit, and two blond blue eyed "same as me dolls". She also has a Bitty Baby and set of Bitty Twins.
 Another remarkable thing about Kathy is that 6 years ago after an accident at work left her with a brain injury and unable to work. Kathy is home bound and is very thankful that she is still able to sew. All of the proceeds from her shop sales go to the back to school program. Last year Kathy was able to donated more then 425 complete outfits and she is on track to donate more this year!

I hope you will take the time to visit Kathys Minitures Plus Etsy shop and check out the http://www.backtoschoolclothingdrive.com/

As with all my posts I would love to hear from you so please leave me a comment here or email me at karenmowen@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment