Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year 2012 Welcome McKenna

2012 Girl of the year McKenna has just been released.  From everything I have read she is a 10 year old girl who struggles to find balance in her life not unlike many other girls her age. I understand that McKenna falls behind in her school work and struggles to keep up with school work, gymnastics and her friends.  I can not wait to read her story and see how she handles her situation.
I would love to know what you all think not only of the doll but of her character. I like that as we are going into the Summer Olympics this year that McKenna is a talented gymnast I also like that she is from Seattle, from what I am told.
I also understand that McKenna develops a friendship with her tutor and I can not wait to see how this story pans out, friendships can be so complex and yet so rewarding.
I wonder how many of you are going to bring Mckenna home this this weekend or are saving up for her this year.
I have to say that I would really like to see American Girl come up with a girl of the year who has more of multicultural background as a strong girl of the year. Though I do think Mckenna is a wonderful doll, I hope that one day when we see the girl of the year, more girls will be able to look at her and say finally this doll is just like me.  I would also love to see a doll who's story is one that deals with being adopted.

I am so looking forward  to getting McKenna's book and get an up close look at McKenna and her entire line when I visit the Seattle store in a few weeks. I am planning a trip with my nieces to the Seattle store on January 22nd. I can not wait.
I would love to know what your thoughts are so please leave me a comment here or email me at karenmowen@gmail.com
Oh and if you happen to spot me in the American Girl Store in Seattle I hope you will come and say Hello, I had so much fun at the last meet and greet.  I hope to see you there.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with wishing she was more...interesting. Another blond haired, blue eyed girl who needs help with schoolwork. My DD is blond/blue so I don't have anything against that, I just wish she was more interesting. Something to learn about. My DD was hoping for an Alaskan girl to follow the Hawaiian girl. She'll sell b/c of the Olympics and gymnastics but I was not impressed with the choice. I do like some of her accessories but don't think we'll be getting her. We'll be playing with Kanani instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just looking at that picture of her with her gym stuff and I'm wondering how you can use the bar with your doll?! I think it seems like almost all of the GOTYs have some kind of trouble in school.... Well maybe not? I really agree that their should be a doll that is struggling with being adopted.

    I rally LOVE your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There seem to be some kind of clips to keep her on the equipment, As for the struggling in school I think it is a thing that most girls experience in some way or another so I like that AG gives girls the opportunity to explore solutions through their story. I too would love to see American Girl have a GOTY that is adopted, let's hope they hear us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks! yea i sure hope they hear us! :)

    p.s. thanks for joining my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for joining and following mine!

    ReplyDelete