Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Dear Jillian


Dear Jillian, 
I am an 11 year old girl and I love to study bugs and insects. 
I want to be an Entomologist when I get older. The trouble is other kids think this is really weird and "icky" and they say that I am weird for liking bugs and insects. Do you think I am weird too?
 From,
Bug Girl


Dear Bug Girl,

I think it is so cool that you love to study bugs and insects. It is so great that you have an idea of what you would like to do when you grow up! Science is so fascinating isn't it! Sometimes it is hard for me to understand why others are not as excited about it as I am. I can tell you are a very smart girl who already knows this, but liking something even bugs doesn't make you weird. I have a good friend who is obsessed with shoes, she wants to have 100 pairs of shoes. I do not understand why she wants to have 100 pairs of shoes but then again she doesn't understand why I like frogs. We just accept that each of us likes different things. I know that she may not be as excited to hear about my latest frog discoveries and she knows I may not want to go to every shoe sale with her, but we are still friends.
I also know that when I want to talk about frogs with someone who understands I find my friends who I know are interested in what I have to say. I even started a club all about frogs for some of my "froggy friends". Even though my shoe friend and I do not share my love of frogs, we are still great friends. So my advice to you is to find other things to talk about with friends you know do not like bugs and when you want to discuss your bug findings with other people seek out people who would be interested in hearing what you may have to say!
Ask your science teacher, science center or librarian if they know of any kids groups you could join or start to make friends who share your same interests!

Your friend,
Jillian


As with all our posts we would love to hear from you so please leave us a comment here or email us at karenmowen@gmail.com or askjillianharper@yahoo.ca

3 comments:

  1. Wait a minute- you say weird like it's a bad thing! Who wants to be normal and ordinary and just like everyone else? Revel in your weirdness! All the most creative, interesting, smartest, and coolest people in the world are weird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have two daughters and I want to say your reply to buggirl was just perfect. There is just such a negetive self image our young girls are getting from most of the world around them! It's refreshing to see there's a few of us who are REALLY still listening to what these kids have to say, and leading them down a path less traveled! Thank you Jill mom of 2 daughters and 1 son

    ReplyDelete